- Editing professional with a wide range of editorial, publications, corporate communications, and writing experience. Skilled at project and task management and a variety of styles and editing processes.
- Proofreading, copyediting, substantive and developmental editing; project management.
- Chicago, AP, and Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications.
- Print, desktop publishing, production, and Web content experience.
- Client relations, collaboration with writers and design teams.
Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; Adobe Acrobat and Dreamweaver; basic HTML and content management software; Apple iMovie, Final Cut Express, and Final Cut Pro.
- Copyedited book manuscripts as freelancer for clarity, consistency, accuracy, and adherence to standards such as Chicago Manual of Style, AP, or in-house guides.
- Copyedited text and translations for Magnum Photos Web-based photographic documentary, Access to Life.
- Copyedited news and opinion pieces for extremely fast-paced online magazine Slate. Fact-checked, published articles, and managed content using internal Web publishing system.
- Edited popular weekly advice column and daily radio summaries for Slate magazine.
- Edited Journalism and the Future of Media web site content.
- Copyedited book proposals for Girl Friday Productions packagers.
- Copyedited packaging content, supplemental materials, user guides, and white papers for worldwide packaging and branding firm Landor Associates. Copyedited localized text in various languages on Microsoft packaging for foreign countries.
- Edited and produced 16-page PCC monthly tabloid newspaper from issue planning stages through printing and distribution; 35,000-plus circulation.
- Edited and copyedited as volunteer for various fiction zines and e-zines according to standards, and creative nonfiction and fiction manuscripts for individual authors.
- Copyedited multipart city planning proposals for Dugan Planning consultancy.
- Proofread book manuscripts for Chronicle Books, Sasquatch Books, and Mountaineers Books.
- Reviewed and proofed final content for Magnum Photos Web-based photographic documentary project, including online video material.
- Proofread magazine content for Web and print publications, including Fretboard Journal.
- Proofread packaging materials and production-edited finalized content before printing at Landor Associates.
- Wrote eye-catching headlines for daily Slate Web-magazine content, captions, summaries, and developed style sheets for contributors.
- Wrote marketing, creative, and technical content, including case histories for major Landor clients such as Microsoft.
- Developed and wrote corporate-wide style guides at Landor.
- Developed and wrote PCC and REI member and employee publications such as brochures, benefits communications, HR manuals, membership information, and annual reports.
- Created division-wide writing and production templates for multiple writers and vendors for Landor.
- Developed yearly PCC Sound Consumer themes and feature stories, cultivated and assigned freelance writers, supervised staff copy input, and coordinated design and illustration.
- Overhauled Sound Consumer budget and reporting for all PCC printed materials, reducing costs and creating accountability. Revised advertising process, increasing advertising by 12 percent in first two years.
- Led creation of first PCC Web site, offering a significant new service to members.
Night Vision Editing
Freelance copyeditor and proofreader. Clients include:
- Chronicle Books
- Sasquatch Books
- Magnum Photos (New York City)
- The Fretboard Journal (Seattle)
- Mountaineers Books (Seattle)
- Girl Friday Productions (Seattle)
- Dugan Planning Services (Everett)
- Journalism and the Future of Media site
2004–2008 Slate Magazine (Slate.com), Seattle and New York
1999–2004 Landor Associates, Seattle
- Copyeditor for online news, politics, and arts magazine.
1993–1999 Puget Consumers’ Co-op (PCC), Seattle
- Copyeditor for worldwide packaging design and branding firm, primarily Microsoft content.
1988–1992 Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI), Seattle
- Publications Editor for Northwest cooperative grocery chain and Managing Editor of the Sound Consumer, monthly 16-page tabloid newspaper with 35,000-plus average circulation.
1982–1988 Washington Food Dealer Magazine, Seattle
- Corporate Publications Coordinator at nationwide outdoor retailer.
- Assistant Director of Communications for monthly 32- to 96-page trade magazine.
- Instructor, University of Washington Certificate Program in Editing, Practicum course.
- Guest speaker, Copy Editor workshop and Editing for the Web audio conference; Beyond the Red Pen conference.
- Member, Northwest Independent Editors’ Guild and Editorial Freelancers Association.
- Instructor at Discover U, Careers in Proofreading and Copyediting.
B.A. Communications, B.A. English; University of Washington